Submit your question below about any cosmetic procedure to be considered for posting with an answer from one of our board-certified plastic surgeons.

If your question is about the cost of a procedure, click here. For referral to a qualified surgeon in your area, see find a surgeon.

Note: ASAPS cannot give advice about specific medical problems nor should answers provided by responding surgeons be substituted for a complete medical history, work-up and an in-personal medical/surgical consultation. Sorry we can't answer all questions. We try to select questions that have the widest general interest.

I am a 36 year old female who has had a problem with acne since my early twenties...


I am a 36 year old female who has had a problem with acne since my early twenties. Would a chemical peel possibly help my skin?


A chemical peel may be helpful for some types of acne scarring, but may not eliminate acne problems. If your concern is with continued acne breakouts and persistent skin problems, then you may be best served by a consultation with a dermatologist. If you want to decrease the scarring or effects of prior acne problems, then an evaluation by a plastic surgeon and his/her aesthetician team may yield some skin care options up to and including chemical peels.

The best treatment for your skin will depend on the nature of the skin changes (such as depth and number of scars) and your skin characteristics (such as oiliness and pigmentation), so that one particular treatment -like chemical peel- will not fit everyone's needs.

Related Questions

Copyright © 2009-2012 ASAPS. All Rights Reserved.