Submit your question below about any cosmetic procedure to be considered for posting with an answer from one of our board-certified plastic surgeons.

If your question is about the cost of a procedure, click here. For referral to a qualified surgeon in your area, see find a surgeon.

Note: ASAPS cannot give advice about specific medical problems nor should answers provided by responding surgeons be substituted for a complete medical history, work-up and an in-personal medical/surgical consultation. Sorry we can't answer all questions. We try to select questions that have the widest general interest.

How do I find a surgeon specializing in severe capsular contracture deformity (which I have after 4 breast augmentations)?


I have had four breast augmentations.  I have been told I have severe capsular contracture and contracture deformity. I need a physician who specializes in this area.  I am having trouble finding a reputable plastic surgeon to take on this operation.  Please advise.


There probably is not a surgeon specializing in severe breast capsular contracture.  The next best thing is an older Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has done a lot of breast surgery including reconstruction over the years and dealt with capsular contracture in the 80's and 90's. You will need the operative reports from your previous breast augmentations.  The trick is to do something different to trick the body not to do the same thing again. This includes moving the implant and using a different implant surface. Go to the "Find a Surgeon" section of this web site or and search for breast experience and then look at the age and their web site.


You can find a board certified plastic surgeon with experience, who will examine you and give you multiple options.  Understand your options and potential risk.


While there isn't likely to be anyone specifically focusing on treatment of capsular contracture, there are some who have a special interest in revision surgery.  Operating on a breast that has already had 4 surgeries and still has a problem does require special expertise.  One thing that may be considered is the use of an acellular dermal matrix material so it might be helpful to ask about that as you are contacting board-certified plastic surgeons.

Richard A. Baxter, M.D. - View Other Answers by this Doctor
Mountlake Terrace, WA


It really depends on a few factors that a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon can review with you.  Recurrent capsular contracture can occur if the implants are in the sub-glandular pocket and this has not been changed with subsequent surgeries or even sometimes if the same implants are used.  The plastic surgeon you see for a second opinion will need the details of your previous procedures in addition to an exam to best care for you.  Although there aren't experts in capsular contracture treatment, some plastic surgeons perform more revision breast surgery and may have a bit more experience with adjunctive things such as acellular dermal matrix, etc.  I hope this helps.

Dr. Edwards


Yes, it sounds like you have a very difficult problem. If you are looking for a ASPS member with a vast amount of experience in the area of capsular contracture correction and/or the use of artificial dermis consider Dr. Patrick Maxwell of Nashville, TN  or Dr. Scott Spear of Washington, DC.  Please anticipate that these procedures will be rather expensive.



Gary R. Culbertson, MD, FACS


I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.  If you've had 4 good surgeries, and your body has made capsules 4 times - I would consider taking the implants out, and not replacing them. You could perhaps consider the option of fat transfer to the breast.  Dr. del Vecchio in Boston has done a lot of work on this option.

Alternatively, you could try placement of a material called Strattice next to a new implant. Early data shows a decreased capsule rate when this material is used.... but it's not a zero percent rate.  Dr. Maxwell, in Nashville, is a proponent of this approach.

Best wishes!

Thomas G. S. Fiala, M.D. - View Other Answers by this Doctor
Altamonte Springs, FL


Surgeons Specializing in Severe Capsular Contracture Deformity – If you’ve had previous capsular contractures and you continue to have capsular contractures, the best option is to remove the implant and to consider autologous augmentation or removal without augmentation and lift only, depending on the amount of breast tissue that you have. If a patient has had more than two breast augmentations and capsular contractures the chances of increasing capsular contracture are significantly higher. It is best to not replace the implants and use autologous fat tissue as an option if the patient is amenable to this option.

Related Questions

Copyright © 2009-2012 ASAPS. All Rights Reserved.