Submit your question below about any cosmetic procedure to be considered for posting with an answer from one of our board-certified plastic surgeons.

If your question is about the cost of a procedure, click here. For referral to a qualified surgeon in your area, see find a surgeon.

Note: ASAPS cannot give advice about specific medical problems nor should answers provided by responding surgeons be substituted for a complete medical history, work-up and an in-personal medical/surgical consultation. Sorry we can't answer all questions. We try to select questions that have the widest general interest.

Can scar tissue be removed from an ear lobe and can the lobe be reduced in size?


I have very thick pudgy ear lobes, especially my right ear. On that particular lobe I have had a recurring keloid. I was told I have this constant issue with the keloid because of the lobes thickness. Can anything be done so that I can wear earrings again? My current hole closed because a baby pulled out my earring, causing the keloid to shift. I wasn't able to get the earring back in before it healed up. I had to constantly keep an earring in the hole to keep it open.



Your history leads one to believe that you may not have true keloids but a thickened earlobe due to hypertrophic scarring. Also, it is not uncommon to have "pudgy" earlobes without a scarring problem. Regardless, earlobes can be debulked and reduced in size,sometimes compression and/or kenalog may be necessary while the earlobes are healing. Once the earlobes have completely healed they can be carefully repierced with studs and hopefully kept away from the baby.

Related Questions

Copyright © 2009-2012 ASAPS. All Rights Reserved.