Submit your question below about any cosmetic procedure to be considered for posting with an answer from one of our board-certified plastic surgeons.

If your question is about the cost of a procedure, click here. For referral to a qualified surgeon in your area, see find a surgeon.

Note: ASAPS cannot give advice about specific medical problems nor should answers provided by responding surgeons be substituted for a complete medical history, work-up and an in-personal medical/surgical consultation. Sorry we can't answer all questions. We try to select questions that have the widest general interest.

Can a one sided cheek implant be done to increase facial symmetry?


Is it possible to receive a one sided custom implant in order to increase facial symmetry due to one cheekbone being about 1/2 a cm higher then the other.  Also the side with the higher cheekbone seems slimmer then the one with the lower.  Is this just an illusion or is it even possible to fix this asymmetry.  Instead of a custom implant is it possible to completely adjust the cheek and jaw on one side of the face with surgery?  I am inquiring as my career has a lot to do with my appearance looking "sharp."



 The correction of facial asymmetry can be accomplished by several avenues. The cause and severity of the condition often dictates which procedure or surgery would be most appropriate. If the asymmetry is minor then, a simple long lasting deep facial filler like Sculptra may be a quick solution. Malar or Check bone implants can also be a solution but, usually require placement on both sides to produce symmetry. For a more definitive and long lasting approach fat grafting could be your solution. If the defect is severe or due to trauma or surgery then, the bones of your face may need to be cut and repositioned. This type of procedure is usually performed by a plastic surgeon that specializes in maxillo-facial surgery. 

 Consider a consult with one of the many members of the ASAPS to address your concerns. They are experts in facial plastic surgery. Best,


Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS


Correction of facial asymmetry can be accomplished by many different techniques.  I would recommend that you attempt a "non-permanent" procedure first to see how you like the results.  I simpler procedure would be a dermal filler such are Radiesse or other fillers which can be used to sculpt the deficient side.  If you are not satisfied with the results the dermal filler will eventually absorb.  If you are satisfied with the results then you can plan on either a facial implant on the deficient side, bony recontouring of the larger side, or facial fat grafting to the smaller side.

Related Questions

Copyright © 2009-2012 ASAPS. All Rights Reserved.