Submit your question below about any cosmetic procedure to be considered for posting with an answer from one of our board-certified plastic surgeons.

If your question is about the cost of a procedure, click here. For referral to a qualified surgeon in your area, see find a surgeon.

Note: ASAPS cannot give advice about specific medical problems nor should answers provided by responding surgeons be substituted for a complete medical history, work-up and an in-personal medical/surgical consultation. Sorry we can't answer all questions. We try to select questions that have the widest general interest.

I had a tummy tuck combined with a hernia surgery 18 years ago. I have two scars from...


I had a tummy tuck combined with a hernia surgery 18 years ago. I have two scars from the procedure, one that is vertical and the other horizontal. It looks like my lower stomach is separated in two. The scars aren’t that large; however some fat protrudes around them and the appearance of my abdomen really bothers me. Can anything be done to correct this?


18 years is a long time.  Is this a very recent change?? ... a gradual change?? ... any pain?? Without the benefit of an exam, my guess is that the scars may be tethered to the deeper tissues and if you gained any weight in the last 18 years, like most people do, liposuction alone may reduce the protrusion.  The recovery from that would be substantially less than a tummy tuck.  The alternative would be to combine liposuction with a possible revision of the scars.  Discuss this with your surgeon at the time of your consultation.  Thank you for your question.

Related Questions

Copyright © 2009-2012 ASAPS. All Rights Reserved.