Richard J. Restifo, M.D.
Background & Specialties
American Board of Plastic Surgery
Dr. Restifo graduated Magna Cum Laude from the University of Pennsylvania with a Bachelor of Arts in Biochemistry and went on to receive his M.D. from Harvard Medical School. He then completed a General Surgery residency at Georgetown University followed by his Plastic Surgery training at the University of Pittsburgh. Following this he became a faculty member in the Department of Plastic Surgery at the Yale University School of Medicine. In 1998 Dr. Restifo entered into private practice in New Haven and Fairfield counties, specializing in Plastic Surgery of the Breast and Body.
Publications and Presentations
- Restifo, RJ. The SPAIR Mammaplasty. A Useful Alternative to Vertical Mammaplasty. Annals of Plastic Surgery 42:428, 1999
- Restifo, RJ. The Aesthetic Subunit Principle in Late TRAM Flap Breast Reconstruction. Annals of Plastic Surgery 42:235, 1999
- Restifo, RJ. The Inferior Pedicled L-Scar Mammaplasty. Operative Techniques in Plastic Surgery 6:119, 1999
- Restifo, RJ, et al. TRAM Flap Perforator Ligation and the Delay Phenomenon: Development of an Endoscopic/Laparoscopic Delay Procedure. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 101:503, 1998
- Restifo, RJ, et al. Timing, Magnitude, and Utility of Delay in the TRAM Flap. Part II: Clinical Studies. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 99:1217, 1999
- Restifo, RJ et al. Prostacylclin Production at the Human Microvascular Anastomosis: Its Effect on Platelet Deposition.Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 97:184, 1996.
- Restifo, RJ, Nauta, RJ. Prophylaxis of Venous Thromboembolism. Contemporary Surgery, 37:45. 1990
- Restifo, RJ, et al. Surgical Delay in TRAM Flap Breast Reconstruction: A Comparison of 7 and 14 day Delay Periods. Annals of Plastic Surgery 38:330, 1997
- Restifo RJ. Secondary Use of the Rectus Muscle Pedicle for TRAM Flap Volume Deficiencies. Annals of Plastic Surgery 40, 343. 1998
- Restifo, RJ et al. Vertical Mamaplasty: Technique and Complications. Surgical Technology International VII:443, 1998
- Restifo, RJ. The Preconditioned TRAM Flap: Initial Clinical Experience. Annals of Plastic Surgery 41:343, 1998
- Restifo, RJ. Surgically Delayed TRAM Flap: Scientific Foundations and Clinical Applications. Perspectives in Plastic Surgery. 14:55, 2000.
- Restifo RJ. TRAM Revisions and Contralateral Mammaplasties. The Role of "Mirror Image" Skin Patterns. Seminars in Plastic Surgery 18:245, 2004
- Restifo RJ. The Robbins Inferior Pedicle Reduction Mammaplasty. Mastopexy and Breast Reduction. Principles and Practice. Springer-Verlag 2009, Chapter 54.
- Restifo RJ. The Short Scar Periareolar Reduction Mammaplasty. Mastopexy and Breast Reduction. Principles and Practice. Springer-Verlag 2009, Chapter 56.