Scott Newman, M.D.
- 1035 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10028
- Tel: Click for phone number212-472-6100
- Fax: 914-969-5291
- Send E-mail
Augmentation mammoplasty, or breast augmentation, is typically performed to enlarge small, underdeveloped breasts or breasts that have decreased in size after a woman has had children. Breast augmentation is accomplished by surgically inserting an implant behind each breast.
Many women consider undergoing breast implant surgery to enhance the size and shape of the natural bustline. Breast implants are also commonly used to restore a breast that has been removed or disfigured as a result of a mastectomy. A feminine body image is important to many women, and that includes the appearance of the breasts. In fact, breast implants come in a variety of sizes, shapes and profiles to achieve a natural-looking physique. Other important features include the texture of an implant’s shell and the substance that fills the shell. Implants approved the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are filled with saline or silicone which impact the look and feel of a breast implant, which affect the overall appearance of your breasts.
Am I a good candidate for breast implants?
- One or more of the following feelings or conditions may indicate that you are a good candidate for breast implants:
- you have a sense of low self-esteem that your breasts are too small
- apparel that fit well around your hips is often too large at the bustline
- you feel self-conscious wearing form-fitting clothing or a swimsuit
- your breasts have decreased in size and lost their firmness after having children
- fluctuation in weight has changed the size and shape of your breasts
- asymmetry exists where one of your breasts is noticeably smaller than the other
Breast Implants Standard Procedure Techniques
Individual factors and personal preferences will help you and your plastic surgeon to determine your appropriate breast size, the location of incisions, and whether breast implants will be placed on top of or underneath the chest muscle.
The size, type, and location of your breast implant may be determined by your goals for breast enhancement, your existing body frame, and mass, your existing breast tissue, and the preferences you and your plastic surgeon discuss.
A patient education video features a real patient who talks about her real breast implant surgery to help you make an informed decision and safely achieve a satisfied outcome. (Video)Click here for more information...