Thomas J. Hubbard, M.D.
Microdermabrasion is effective in reducing fine lines, "crow's feet," age spots and acne scars. It stimulates the production of skin cells and collagen. It has proven to be a very popular nonsurgical cosmetic procedure; see current American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) statistics.
The hand piece emits crystals onto the surface of the skin, resulting in a gentle abrasion or "polishing" process. Each treatment takes from 30 minutes to an hour. The number of treatments recommended for maximal results can range between 5 and 12, spaced from 2 to 3 weeks apart. Maintenance of results requires periodic repeat treatments after the initial regimen is completed. Microdermabrasion may be combined with a light chemical peel to increase the effect.
- Virtually no side effects.
- Gives the skin an overall fresh, healthy-looking glow.
- Nonsurgical, safe, effective "lunch hour" procedure.
- Effective on all skin colors and types.
- No anesthetic required.
- Excellent for skin sensitive to chemical procedures.
- Normal activities can be resumed immediately.