Sunday, April 14
12:30pm – 2:30pm
S16A Physician Extender Injector Competence Training – Level 1 –
Understanding the Basics of Injection Techniques with Neurotoxins and Hyaluronic Acid Dermal Fillers
2 CME Credits
Discounted pre-registration fee: $175 On-site fee: $225
Special Note: Participation limited to RNs, NPs, and PAs practicing within their scope of practice under the direct supervision of a plastic surgeon.
Chair: Julius Few, MD
Additional Faculty: Haideh Hirmand, MD, Kathy Jones, RN** and Susan Wells, RN**
Level: Comprehensive Organization: Didactic with live demonstrations
This comprehensive, introductory level course, designed for nurse, nurse practitioner and physician assistant injectors, provides participants a review of the treatment rationale and clinical applications for neurotoxins and the variety of FDA-approved hyaluronic acid dermal fillers. The importance of a thorough aesthetic analysis will be examined in detail with a focus on facial anatomy including muscles, nerves and skin layers. Effective pain management options are also covered. Attendees will have an opportunity for small-group discussions which will include an opportunity to inject an HA product into a skin model. In addition, live patient injections with neurotoxins and hyaluronic acid fillers will be demonstrated. Patient safety is discussed throughout the course with an emphasis on avoiding complications. The course will review the importance of teamwork and effective communication between the nurse/nurse practitioner/physician assistant and surgeon and how this relationship can have a positive economic impact on the plastic surgery practice.
Successful completion of this course is the first of two requirements for participants to receive a certificate of Nurse/Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant Injector – Level 1 Course Completion. The second requirement is participation in a physician sponsored preceptorship.
- Perform an aesthetic analysis of the face to identify potential facial rejuvenation strategies that may improve appearance in accordance with the patient’s individual treatment goals
- Discuss the patient’s goals and explain potential treatment options, utilizing results from the aesthetic evaluation.
- Given the array of hyaluronic acid dermal fillers and neuromodulators that are available for facial enhancement, assess each option in order to design an effective treatment plan.
- When injecting neuromodulators, demonstrate knowledge of appropriate muscle(s) in order to achieve the desired result.
- When injecting hyaluronic acid dermal fillers, demonstrate knowledge of product attributes, appropriate depth of injection and specific techniques in order to ensure optimal outcomes.
- When injecting neuromodulators and/or dermal fillers, describe the actions that can lead to adverse events/complications and categorize subsequent management.
Development of this course courtesy of the Physician’s Coalition for Injectable Safety