Guidelines for patients seeking cosmetic procedures abroad:
NEW YORK, NY (December 15, 2006) – Patients seeking cosmetic surgical enhancements need to make informed choices before pursuing any procedure.
It is the Aesthetic Society's view that there are excellent cosmetic surgeons throughout the world. However, seeking surgery abroad requires an even greater level of knowledge and homework.
If you are thinking about having surgery overseas, consider establishing a relationship with a local board certified plastic surgeon before going on your trip. Then, if complications arise when you return home, a qualified surgeon will be familiar with your goals and procedures. Find a local board certified plastic surgeon in your area.
The following questions were created to help you through the process and should be answered before boarding the plane:
- Unless you have met the surgeon on a prior visit, and have seen the surgery facility, how do you know that you will be comfortable with him or her, and feel secure in proceeding with surgery? Remember, a successful; doctor-patient relationship is based on confidence and trust, not on perceived savings and price . Make sure you are fully comfortable with the surgeon providing your care.
- What are the risks of long flights and any additional land travel before and after surgery? Will travel have an impact on my surgical outcome? Will I have to stay longer at the tourist destination to decrease the risk of post-surgical deep vein thrombosis (DVT) before I get on a plane?
- Is there an increased risk of DVT in the legs, or pulmonary embolism (blood clots in the lungs) associated with long air travel before and after surgery?
- What is the surgeon's training?
- What specialty certification does the surgeon hold?
The International Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery ( www.isaps.org ) is a good source for finding qualified cosmetic surgeons.
- What happens if you develop complications?
Make sure you know who will care for you and who is financially responsible for secondary or revisional procedures. Before you leave home check with a local Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to see if they will be willing to provide post-op or revisional care if necessary.
- If you feel the surgeon has been negligent, what recourse will you have?
Find out in advance what liability coverage the physician holds and what are the local laws regarding medical malpractice.
- What are the local standards of anesthesia and nursing care? What credentials do these providers hold and what are the standards of the credentials?
- Is there an acute care hospital nearby if complications should arise? Is it a fully licensed, modern facility?
- What physician will care for you at home if complications arise?
- What are the surgeon's recommendations for aftercare? How long after your procedure will you need to stay in the area? Who will care for you in your initial recovery? What are the costs for this post-operative care?
- Do the key personnel at the surgeon's office and in the operating room speak fluent English?
- Carefully consider the total costs involved with having surgery abroad, including the additional time off work required for travel and recovery, the costs of air travel and extended stays abroad, potential costs if surgery revisions are needed subsequently, and unanticipated expenses if complications occur.
Cosmetic surgery abroad can be a safe experience with excellent outcomes. However we strongly recommend that you do your homework in advance and be fully comfortable with the answers to the above questions before making any commitment of either time or money.
The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), is recognized as the world’s leading organization devoted entirely to aesthetic plastic surgery and cosmetic medicine of the face and body. ASAPS is comprised of over 2,600 Plastic Surgeons; active members are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (USA) or by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and have extensive training in the complete spectrum of surgical and non-surgical aesthetic procedures. International active members are certified by equivalent boards of their respective countries. All members worldwide adhere to a strict Code of Ethics and must meet stringent membership requirements.
WE ARE AESTHETICS.
Follow ASAPS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/ASAPS
Become a fan of ASAPS on Facebook: www.facebook.com/AestheticSociety
Check us out on Instagram: www.instagram.com/theaestheticsocietyasaps
Join Smart Beauty Guide: www.smartbeautyguide.com
Locate a plastic surgeon in your area: www.smartbeautyguide.com/select-surgeon