Survey Shows Significant Increase in Men's Approval
American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Reports 2005 Consumer Survey
New York , NY (February 17, 2005) — Women are not the only ones considering cosmetic plastic surgery, and the gender gap continues to close. According to a February 2005 attitude study of 1000 Americans 18 years of age and older, 34 percent of women said they would consider cosmetic surgery, the same percentage as in February 2004. Among men, 21 percent said they would consider cosmetic surgery, an increase of 50 percent from a year ago . General approval of cosmetic surgery was high among both women and men.
Other key findings of the study include:
• 60 percent of women (an 18% increase) and 59 percent of men (a 40% increase) said they generally approve of cosmetic surgery.
• Men and women with children in their households were more likely to consider cosmetic surgery (30 percent), as compared to people without a child in their household who would consider plastic surgery (26 percent).
• Among all Americans, 82 percent of women and 79 percent of men said they would not be embarrassed if others knew they had cosmetic surgery.
• Most people (72 percent) said their attitude toward cosmetic surgery hadn't changed in the last five years, though 20 percent said it was "more favorable" and 8 percent said "less favorable." Women were slightly more likely than men to have developed a more favorable attitude toward cosmetic surgery than in the past.
The study was commissioned by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) and conducted by the independent research firm Synovate.
According to 2004 ASAPS Cosmetic Surgery Statistics, last year women had nearly 10.7 million cosmetic procedures (90 percent of total), and men had nearly 1.2 million procedures (10 percent of total). Overall, the number of surgical and nonsurgical cosmetic procedures increased 44 percent from 2003. To access the complete 2004 ASAPS Statistics, click HERE.
The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), is recognized as the world's leading organization devoted entirely to aesthetic plastic surgery and cosmetic medicine of the face and body. ASAPS is comprised of over 2,600 Plastic Surgeons; Active Members are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (USA) or by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and have extensive training in the complete spectrum of surgical and nonsurgical aesthetic procedures. International Active Members are certified by equivalent boards of their respective countries. All members worldwide adhere to a strict Code of Ethics and must meet stringent membership requirements.
WE ARE AESTHETICS
- Follow ASAPS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/ASAPS
- Become a fan of ASAPS on Facebook: www.facebook.com/AestheticSociety
- Check us out on Instagram: www.instagram.com/theaestheticsocietyasaps
- Check out our consumer-facing website: www.smartbeautyguide.com
- Locate a plastic surgeon in your area: www.smartbeautyguide.com/select-surgeon