Teenagers: Most Common Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Procedures
New York, NY (January 3, 2000) — The following procedures are among those most commonly performed for patients 18 years of age and younger.
- Rhinoplasty: Nose reshaping is the most common aesthetic procedure requested by teens. It can be performed when the nose has completed 90 per cent of its growth, which can occur as young as 13 or 14 in girls and 15 or 16 in boys.
- Otoplasty: Cosmetic ear surgery can be performed in children as young as 5.
- Breast reduction: Can help girls as young as 16 with overly large breasts, who may experience back and shoulder pain, as well as restriction of physical activity.
- Correction of breast asymmetry: Surgery can help girls as young as 16 when one breast significantly differs from the other either in size or shape.
- Treatment of gynecomastia: In some teenage boys, excessive breast development can become a significant psychosocial problem. Excess tissue can be removed in boys as young as 16.
- Chin augmentation: Often addressed with rhinoplasty to achieve facial balance.
- Lipoplasty (liposuction): Recommended for patients of normal weight with localized fat deposits resistant to diet and exercise, often a hereditary condition. Those 18 and younger represented 1.4% of the total number of procedures performed in 1997, and 1.3% in 1998.
The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), is recognized as the world’s leading organization devoted entirely to aesthetic plastic surgery and cosmetic medicine of the face and body. ASAPS is comprised of over 2,600 Plastic Surgeons; active members are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (USA) or by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and have extensive training in the complete spectrum of surgical and non-surgical aesthetic procedures. International active members are certified by equivalent boards of their respective countries. All members worldwide adhere to a strict Code of Ethics and must meet stringent membership requirements.
Follow ASAPS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/ASAPS
Become a fan of ASAPS on Facebook: www.facebook.com/AestheticSociety
Join Smart Beauty Guide: www.smartbeautyguide.com
Locate a plastic surgeon in your area: http://www.surgery.org/consumers/find-a-plastic-surgeon