Facial implants are designed for augmentative, reconstructive or rejuvenative purposes. Available in a wide range of sizes and styles for the chin, jaw, nose and cheek, implants add or restore contour and/or proportion to the face.
The procedure follows a similar pattern for all facial areas. The surgeon makes a small incision near where the implant will be placed, either in a crease or inside the mouth at the gum/lip junction. Then a pocket in made in the facial tissue, the implant inserted, and the incision is stitched. The process generally takes 1-2 hours, usually with general anesthesia. The incision is bandaged or taped, and stitches are removed in 5-10 days (sutures placed inside the mouth will dissolve in a similar period of time). Sometimes facial implants are inserted at the same time as a facelift, nose or eyelid procedure is performed.
- Return to work and other normal activity within a week.
- Generally performed in the surgeon’s office or an outpatient surgical center.
- Adds aesthetically pleasing contour to the face.
- Results are essentially permanent.
- As with any surgical procedure, infection may occur. If the infection persists, the implant may have to be removed and replaced at a later time.
- Shifting of the implant is another possibility. Should the implant become slightly misaligned, a second procedure might be necessary to reposition it.
- Postoperative bruising and swelling. Mild/moderate discomfort for 1 to 2 days.
- Strenuous activity and rough contact to the implant area must be avoided for 4 to 6 weeks.
- Patients with gum or dental problems will want to confer with their dentist.
The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), is recognized as the world’s leading organization devoted entirely to aesthetic plastic surgery and cosmetic medicine of the face and body. ASAPS is comprised of over 2,600 Plastic Surgeons; active members are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (USA) or by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and have extensive training in the complete spectrum of surgical and non-surgical aesthetic procedures. International active members are certified by equivalent boards of their respective countries. All members worldwide adhere to a strict Code of Ethics and must meet stringent membership requirements.
WE ARE AESTHETICS.
Follow ASAPS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/ASAPS
Become a fan of ASAPS on Facebook: www.facebook.com/AestheticSociety
Join Smart Beauty Guide: www.smartbeautyguide.com
Locate a plastic surgeon in your area: http://www.surgery.org/consumers/find-a-plastic-surgeon