Microdermabrasion is effective in reducing fine lines, "crow’s feet," age spots and acne scars. It stimulates the production of skin cells and collagen. It has proven to be a very popular nonsurgical cosmetic procedure; see current American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) statistics.
The hand piece emits crystals onto the surface of the skin, resulting in a gentle abrasion or "polishing" process. Each treatment takes from 30 minutes to an hour. The number of treatments recommended for maximal results can range between 5 and 12, spaced from 2 to 3 weeks apart. Maintenance of results requires periodic repeat treatments after the initial regimen is completed. Microdermabrasion may be combined with a light chemical peel to increase the effect.
- Virtually no side effects.
- Gives the skin an overall fresh, healthy-looking glow.
- Nonsurgical, safe, effective "lunch hour" procedure.
- Effective on all skin colors and types.
- No anesthetic required.
- Excellent for skin sensitive to chemical procedures.
- Normal activities can be resumed immediately.
- Requires multiple sessions and maintenance treatments.
- Patients with good skin tone will show best results.
- An individualized skin care program may be recommended to maximize results.
The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), is recognized as the world’s leading organization devoted entirely to aesthetic plastic surgery and cosmetic medicine of the face and body. ASAPS is comprised of over 2,600 Plastic Surgeons; active members are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (USA) or by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and have extensive training in the complete spectrum of surgical and non-surgical aesthetic procedures. International active members are certified by equivalent boards of their respective countries. All members worldwide adhere to a strict Code of Ethics and must meet stringent membership requirements.
Follow ASAPS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/ASAPS
Become a fan of ASAPS on Facebook: www.facebook.com/AestheticSociety
Join Smart Beauty Guide: www.smartbeautyguide.com
Locate a plastic surgeon in your area: http://www.surgery.org/consumers/find-a-plastic-surgeon