My areolas are very large compared to my breast size. When I have my breasts...


My areolas are very large compared to my breast size. When I have my breasts enlarged, I would like to reduce the areolas considerably. I am very self-conscious about them. Can this be done when implants are placed?


You can have the areola reduced at the time of breast augmentation, but there is a chance the incisions may spread due to tension on the skin from the implant volume. You may need an enhancement of the periareolar scar at a later date. Or you may choose to have the areola made smaller with a subsequent, separate procedure. A lot depends on the quality and elasticity of your skin, and your current size versus your desired size. I suggest a consultation with an ASAPS surgeon who will have the opportunity to examine you and make a recommendation.


Areola reduction

Yes, the size of your areolas can be reduced. It is actually fairly common to provide and areola reduction during a breast surgery, particularly to women who have had pregnancies and have breast fed children. Areola reduction can take place as a surgery alone, or with a breast augmentation or breast lift surgery


Reduction of Large Breast Areolas – Areola reduction at the time of breast augmentation can be done, however if the implants are extremely large then I would consider waiting 3-6 months so there is no splaying or widening of the areola scar.


Areola reduction can be done at the same time as breast augmentation.  However be aware that placement of larger breast implants can cause the scars around your areola to widened and stretch.  Because of this a better option might be to have your breast augmentation first, wait to see if the areola are stretched by the augmentation, and after healing for a.  A 3-6 months have the areola reduction done.


Reduction of large areolas  is a frequently performed procedure, either at the time of an augmentation or as a separate procedure. There are a variety of procedures that are utilized to achieve this improvement, depending on individual anatomy and desired outcome.

I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.  

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Related Questions

Copyright © 2009-2017 ASAPS. All Rights Reserved.