After having a modest increase in size with a breast aug. in May, can I now replace the implants with larger ones?


I had silicone implants placed under the muscle in May.  I thought I wanted a modest increase but now feel like I should have gone larger.  This is not my doctor's fault as he did what I asked and I thought the 250cc implants would be enough.  Is it too soon to go back and ask for larger implants - I am looking for increasing my breasts another inch.  I was an A cup, now I'm a B cup, and I would prefer to be a C cup.  Instead of changing the implants, should I get fat transferred to the existing breasts to supplement them?  Thank you for your time.


It sounds like you need to go back to your original surgeon and express your concerns about your breast size.  Fat grafting to the breast is an option but it is still considered somewhat of an investigational procedure.  You could require more than one procedure with the fat grafting to the breast and it might be a bit more expensive than undergoing a repeat/redo breast augmentation.  If your surgeon does not answer/address your concerns, then, consider a consult with one of the many members of the ASAPS.  They are experts in the field of breast surgery.


Gary R. Culbertson, MD, FACS


Placement of Larger Implants – If one has had previous breast implants and wants to go larger I usually have them wait at least 3-6 months to acclimate and to see if one can go larger, this should be very infrequent. Today, one can also perform fat augmentation around the implants which is actually a good option to allow more upper pole and lateral fullness. Therefore, it would not require one to have an implant exchange.


I recommend that she wait 3-6 months before replacing your current breast implants.  As you get used to them you may decide that your current implants are enough.  Fat can certainly be added to increase breast volume but it is still an experimental procedure and I have seen patients who have had fat injected to enlarge the breast after breast implants only to find that the fat has dissolved and had no effect.  Please consult your plastic surgeon.

Related Questions

Copyright © 2009-2017 ASAPS. All Rights Reserved.