I have a skin graft that I would like to have recovered


I had a ruptured Achilles tendon in 2008 that got an infection after surgery; I had to get a skin graft over this. It constantly rubs against my shoe and is very unsightly. I have tried wearing the Achilles heel support to cover it, but they are not very comfortable. What would be my options for covering this area again and making it more presentable?


Dear Mary,

A skin graft is sometimes a necessary solution in situations like yours, however, a major draw back is their looks and in ability to sustain repetitive trauma. Now that the infection is gone, there are several options that can be chosen depending on the size of the graft and the condition of the surrounding skin. Basically, you will need to remove the skin graft and replace it with regular skin. Please consult with an ASAPS member for this in order to put a plan for how to achieve this result.


Shady Hayek, M.D.

Beirut, Lebanon

Shady Hayek, M.D.

Related Questions

Copyright © 2009-2017 ASAPS. All Rights Reserved.