Submit your question below about any cosmetic procedure to be considered for posting with an answer from one of our board-certified plastic surgeons.

If your question is about the cost of a procedure, click here. For referral to a qualified surgeon in your area, see find a surgeon.

Note: ASAPS cannot give advice about specific medical problems nor should answers provided by responding surgeons be substituted for a complete medical history, work-up and an in-personal medical/surgical consultation. Sorry we can't answer all questions. We try to select questions that have the widest general interest.

I see lots of information on chin augmentation but have yet to see any articles on...


I see lots of information on chin augmentation but have yet to see any articles on chin reduction. Is there anything that can be done for someone who has a protruding chin?


A protruding chin can be treated with a procedure called a sliding genioplasty. With this procedure the bony chin is cut and slid back. The chin is held in the new position with a small bone plate and screws. There are no incisions or scars on the face. An incision is made in the mouth inside the lower lip.

Sometimes when the chin is moved back, fullness under the chin can occur. Depending on how severe this fullness is, it may be improved with liposuction. The liposuction can be done at the same time or at a later time as a staged procedure.

One word of caution: this is a difficult procedure. Make sure your surgeon has experience doing sliding genioplasties. I recommend consulting with a surgeon who is an ASAPS member.

Related Questions

Copyright © 2009-2012 ASAPS. All Rights Reserved.