Submit your question below about any cosmetic procedure to be considered for posting with an answer from one of our board-certified plastic surgeons.

If your question is about the cost of a procedure, click here. For referral to a qualified surgeon in your area, see find a surgeon.

Note: ASAPS cannot give advice about specific medical problems nor should answers provided by responding surgeons be substituted for a complete medical history, work-up and an in-personal medical/surgical consultation. Sorry we can't answer all questions. We try to select questions that have the widest general interest.

When reshaping ears, is it possible to add additional cartilage?


My ears are pointed due to a fold in the outer cartilage.  I have seen this called constricted ear.  While it seems as though bending the cartilage back to a normal position will improve the appearance, can additional bone be added to make the ear more rounded?


I am not sure if you are talking about LOP EAR or CONSTRICTED EAR.  Either can be repaired, and yes cartilage, not bone, can be used to give the roundness.  You and the plastic surgeon need to agree on where to take the cartilage graft from.  That would depend on what the graft is needed for.  You may consider the opposite ear or rib cartilage.

Related Questions

Copyright © 2009-2012 ASAPS. All Rights Reserved.