Michael H. Wojtanowski, M.D., FACS
I'm very interested in facial implants. I have a few questions:
1) Can they be felt and seen through the skin after?
2) What is the best material for them, Gore-Tex or silicone?
3) Can I wear them for my whole life or I will I need to swap them in 10-15 years?
4) Is there any chance my cheeks will be asymmetrical?
These are the answers to your facial implant questions:
1. Facial implants should not be readily palpable or visible.
2 .There are many materials utilized for implants of the face, with Gore-Tex and silicone being the most common.
3. Unless the implants become complicated or problematic in some way, they can stay in place for life.
4. There is always some facial asymmetry before and after surgery, but it is usually not very noticeable. Sometimes corrective surgery is required if the asymmetry becomes too great.