Wise-woman’s guide to cellulite treatments
June 28, 2011
Cellulite may be viewed as fat storage that allows women to carry pregnancies and breast feed; 90 percent of women have cellulite and the other 10 percent think they have it. Even though cellulite is omnipresent and a fertility aid, that doesn’t stop it from being the bane of many a woman’s existence. The question is – to what length will you go to remove it? The June 2011 issue of Allure evaluates the latest anti-cellulite treatments.
A compression garment called Skineez Skincarewear, impregnated with caffeine, retinol, vitamin E and shea butter is advertised to yield smoother skin and smaller thigh circumference after you wear it eight hours a day, five days a week, for more than a month. But experts say that you could get similar temporary results from the compression effects of Spanx or from wearing an Ace bandage for a few hours. The advantages of caffeine and vitamin-A derivatives are unproven.
Acoustic Wave Therapy, also known as Cellupulse, looks promising. It is a sound pulse designed to break up fat cells that is in the initial evaluation stage. Madonna is rumored to have dropped about $75,000 for her own personal acoustic wave therapy machine.
Honeybelle Body Buffer, which looks like a Home Depot sanding machine, gets pressed firmly against thighs or hips and its oscillation performs a lymphatic massage meant to improve blood flow and flush away fluids that make fatty dimpling pronounced. Experts say that the massage might camouflage cellulite, but it doesn’t eradicate it. Honeybelle has been compared to Endermologie, a treatment in which rollers knead the skin. Results of Endermologie have been described as “marginal.”
Triactive and Smoothshapes Lasers, purported to heat and reshape fat cells and remodel septae by boosting collagen production, requires one to three session a week for several weeks followed by maintenance visits. Results of Triactive have been variable, but a study of SmoothShapes, a newer process, showed a 76 percent improvement in cellulite six months following treatment in 17 women.
According to a prominent plastic surgeon, noninvasive treatments may not always solve your problems. If you’re willing to undergo minor incisions, you can get results from liposuction with Exilis or subcision (snipping taut bands of septae). Be on the lookout for Cellulaze, which is now available in Europe. Cellulaze breaks up the septae with a laser under the skin and is described as a one-step permanent solution. Contact a board-certified plastic surgeon from the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery for all your options.
The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), is recognized as the world’s leading organization devoted entirely to aesthetic plastic surgery and cosmetic medicine of the face and body. ASAPS is comprised of over 2,600 Plastic Surgeons; active members are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (USA) or by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and have extensive training in the complete spectrum of surgical and non-surgical aesthetic procedures. International active members are certified by equivalent boards of their respective countries. All members worldwide adhere to a strict Code of Ethics and must meet stringent membership requirements.
WE ARE AESTHETICS.
Follow ASAPS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/ASAPS
Become a fan of ASAPS on Facebook: www.facebook.com/AestheticSociety
Join Smart Beauty Guide: www.smartbeautyguide.com
Locate a plastic surgeon in your area: http://www.surgery.org/consumers/find-a-plastic-surgeon