Laser hair removal is an increasingly popular non-surgical cosmetic procedure. It is a non-invasive, convenient method to reduce hair growth.
Laser Hair Removal Technique
Depending on the area being treated, the process may take anywhere from several minutes to several hours to complete. The most commonly used lasers utilize a low energy laser beam. This beam passes through the patient’s skin and is attracted to the pigment of the hair. The energy passes down the hair shaft and is absorbed by hair follicles that are in the active growth phase, thereby disabling the hair follicle in the deeper layer of the skin. The hair follicles that are in dormant phase are not affected by the treatment. In most cases, minimal pain should be experienced and no anesthesia is required.
Laser Hair Removal Benefits
- A non-invasive, gentle technique that reduces undesirable hair from most parts of the body
- Treats larger areas effectively because it disables more than one hair at a time
- May make skin color and complexion more uniform
- Minimal discomfort
- Replaces waxing, electrolysis, shaving and bleaching
- No downtime
Laser Hair Removal Considerations
- Laser hair removal is an ongoing process that requires multiple sessions because it only affects actively growing hair, and not all hair follicles are active at the same time. In addition, high energy levels are avoided so as to minimize the risk of injury to the adjacent skin
- Occasionally patients may experience slight redness of the skin or mild swelling around the hairs
- Sunscreen is recommended for any area treated that may be exposed to the sun
- Patients with darker skin may not respond well due to inadequate discrepancy between skin and hair colors
- Blonde or gray/white hair is less responsive due to lack of ample pigment in the hair
Find a Surgeon in your area.