Credentials: The American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS)
The prime purpose of the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) is to evaluate and pass judgment on the training and knowledge of broadly competent and responsible plastic surgeons. The ABPS establishes the prerequisite requirements for those desiring training in plastic surgery and sets the standards for graduate education in the plastic surgery specialty. The ABPS conducts qualifying written and oral exams for certification.
Established in 1937. Officially recognized in 1941 as the board responsible for certifying physicians in the specialty of plastic surgery by action of the American Board of Medical Specialties and as approved by the Council on Medical Education of the American Medical Association.
There are two major paths toward obtaining acceptable graduate level training in plastic surgery: the Independent Model and the Integrated Model.
- An Independent Model consists of at least three years of general surgery residency training (or complete training in a designated surgical discipline), followed by two or three years of plastic surgery residency training.
- An Integrated Model does not make a distinction between prerequisite training (general surgery) and requisite training (plastic surgery), as the two are combined into one training model.
Content of Training
Training covers the entire spectrum of plastic surgery including reconstructive and cosmetic surgery of the face and body. In addition, plastic surgery training programs provide in-depth education in emergencies, shock, wound healing, blood replacement, fluid and electrolyte balance, pharmacology, anesthetics, and chemotherapy.
The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), is recognized as the world's leading organization devoted entirely to aesthetic plastic surgery and cosmetic medicine of the face and body. ASAPS is comprised of over 2,600 Plastic Surgeons; Active Members are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (USA) or by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada and have extensive training in the complete spectrum of surgical and nonsurgical aesthetic procedures. International Active Members are certified by equivalent boards of their respective countries. All members worldwide adhere to a strict Code of Ethics and must meet stringent membership requirements.
WE ARE AESTHETICS
- Follow ASAPS on Twitter: www.twitter.com/ASAPS
- Become a fan of ASAPS on Facebook: www.facebook.com/AestheticSociety
- Check us out on Instagram: www.instagram.com/theaestheticsocietyasaps
- Check out our consumer-facing website: www.smartbeautyguide.com
- Locate a plastic surgeon in your area: www.smartbeautyguide.com/select-surgeon